Welcome to the School of Philosophy
Our community of students and scholars works together to study issues confronting both the major philosophical disciplines and the major figures in the history of philosophy. With a specific concern for the Catholic intellectual tradition, we are guided by two perennial questions: What is the human good? What are the ultimate principles of being and knowledge?
Our Ph.D. program is designed to provide students with a broad philosophical background both in the history of philosophy and the systematic study of philosophical questions. With a strong record of job placement, our program gives students the skills for scholarly research and prepares them to join the academic community at large.
M.A. and Ph.L. Programs
We offer a variety of M.A. and Ph.L. programs for students interested either in a terminal degree or further doctoral studies. These programs provide a broad philosophical background both in the history of philosophy and the systematic study of philosophical questions, preparing students either for further academic study or the professional world.
Our undergraduate programs are designed to provide students with a broad philosophical background both in the history of philosophy and the systematic study of philosophical questions. These programs also give students the opportunity to do upper division work in related disciplines and serve as excellent preparation for the study of law or theology.
With the resources of the ecclesiastical faculties of the School of Philosophy and the School of Theology and Religious Studies, CUA offers an outstanding academic program in pre-theology studies for seminarians, inspired by the vision and in accord with the norms of The Program of Priestly Formation, fifth edition.
Important Dates & Events
- Dec. 5 "Is There a Music of the Spheres?" - Robert Reilly, American Foreign Policy Council.
Aquinas Hall Auditorium, 2 pm.
- Call For Papers -- The Public and the Private: A Graduate Student Conference in Philosophy. Dec. 21, 2014 submission deadline. For further information, consult link above.
- March 2-4, 2015 Spring 2015 Senior Comprehensive Exams. Time & Location TBA. For further information, please contact the exam coordinator, Dr. Jean De Groot.
- March 19-20, 2015 Spring 2015 Graduate Reading List Exams. Time & Location TBA For further information, consult the link above. For past exams, or for how to register, please contact the Dean's Office.
- March 20-21, 2015 The Public and the Private: A Graduate Student Conference in Philosophy. Time & Location TBA